Saturday, December 20, 2008

More Holiday Reading Suggestions from an NCBLA Board Member

Nikki Grimes writes,
I have several favorite books for Christmas. Who can pick only one? You can't beat the magic of The Polar Express, of course. I'm grateful for Christmas in the Big House, Christmas in the Quarters. I love the spare text of I Am Christmas, which celebrates the birth of Christ. My overall seasonal favorite, though, is Winter Lights: A Season in Poems & Quilts by Anna Grossnickle Hines. As both a poet and craftswoman, myself, I especially enjoy these collections. The poems and vibrant quilts celebrate the lights of Hanukkah, the joy of Kwanza, the glow of candle light, the magic of holiday lights, and the warmth of the hearth. What can be better than that?
Poet Nikki Grimes is the author of several books for children and adults, including Bronx Masquerade, Talkin' About Bessie, and her latest book, Barack Obama: Son of Promise, Child of Hope. For more information, please see her NCBLA bio or visit her website.

No comments: